Educational Background: PhD, 1983, The Rockefeller University, New York, USA
Position: Associate Professor
Contact number/s: +65-6516 5460 (Office); +65-9670 4910 (Cell)
Fax number: +65-6778 8161
Email address: email@example.com; (firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com)
Location of Office: MD9 Level 4
Location of Laboratory: Physiology Department - MD9 Level 3 and Mechanobiology Institute, T-Lab, Level 10, 5A Engineering Drive 1, SG 117411
Name of Laboratory: Laboratory of Cancer Signaling & Domainopathies
Research Areas of Interest:
- Investigations into physiological and molecular mechanisms of the Golabi-Ito-Hall syndrome, which phenocopies severe autism, using transgenic animal models of the syndrome
- Investigations into the role of tight junctions proteins such as ZO2 and ZO1 in the regulation of the Hippo-YAP tumor suppressor pathway using cell and animal models
- Investigations of new signaling modalities that inhibit YAP oncogene and could be translated into cancer drug discovery
- Investigations of a cross talk between WW domain-containing proteins that regulate muscle homeostasis and the Hippo-YAP pathway that controls differentiation and stem cell biology
- Investigations into the dominant role of Hippo-YAP tumor suppressor pathway in liver regeneration
- The Y65C Missense Mutation in the WW Domain of the Golabi-Ito-Hall Syndrome Protein PQBP1 Affects Its Binding Activity and Deregulates Pre-mRNA Splicing. Tapia, VE, Nicolaescu E, McDonald CB, Musi V, Oka T, Inayoshi Y, Satteson AC, Mazack V, Humbert J, Gaffney JC, Beullens M, Schwartz CE, Landgraf C, Volkmer R, Pastore A, Farooq A, Bollen M, and Sudol M. J. Biol. Chem. 2010 June 18,285(25):19391-19401.
- Functional Complex Between YAP2 and ZO-2 is PDZ Domain Dependent, Regulates YAP2 Nuclear Localization and Signaling. Oka T, Remue E, Meerschaert K, Vanloo B, Boucherie C, Gfeller D, Bader GD, Sidhu S, Vandekerckhove J, Gettemans J, Sudol M. Biochemical J. 2010 Dec 15,432(3):461-72. (This article was selected in 2011 by FACULTY BIOLOGY 1000).
- Identification, Basic Characterization and Evolutionary Analysis of Differentially Spliced mRNA Isoforms of Human YAP1 Gene. Gaffney CJ, Oka T, Mazack V, Hilman D, Gat U, Muramatsu T, Inazawa J, Golden A, Carey DJ, Farooq A, Tromp G, Sudol M. Gene. 2012 Nov 10,509(2): 215-222.
- WW Domains in the Heart of Smad Signaling. Sudol M. Structure. 2012 Oct 10,20(10):1619-1620.
- Opposing Roles of Angiomotin Like 1 and Zona Occludens-2 on Pro-apoptotic Function of YAP. Oka T, Schmitt AP, and Sudol M. Oncogene. 2012 Jan 5,31(1):128-134.
1983-1985 Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell Cancer Fund Fellowship
1987-1990 Junior Faculty Research Award from American Cancer Society
1987-1992 FIRST NIH Grant Award from National Cancer Institute
1991-1994 Klingenstein Award in the Neurosciences
1994-1994 Henri de Rothschild Visiting Scientist Award, Institute Curie, France
1991-1996 NIH Research Career Development Award from National Cancer Institute
President and founding member of the Protein Modules Consortium
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY 10029, USA
Joint Research Appointment at the Mechanobiology Institute, Singapore 117411
Joint Research Appointment at the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IMCB), A*STAR, Singapore 138673