Educational Background: Ph.D.
Position: Assistant Professor
Contact number/s: +65-6516 5886 (office); +65-6601 3191 (Lab)
Fax number: +65-6777 3271
Email address: email@example.com
Location of Office: Centre for Life Sciences (CeLS), #04-03
Location of Laboratory: CeLS, Level 4
Name of Laboratory: Synaptic plasticity and Memory
Research Areas of Interest:
- Neural basis of long-term memory (LTM).
- Synaptic tagging and capture (STC) as an elementary mechanism for storing LTM in neural networks.
- Metaplasticity as a compensatory mechanism for improving memory in neural networks.
- Chelation of hippocampal zinc enhances long-term potentiation and synaptic tagging/capture in CA1 pyramidal neurons of aged rats: implications to aging and memory. Shetty MS, Sharma M, Sajikumar S. Aging Cell. 2016 Sep 16. doi: 10.1111/acel.12537. [Epub ahead of print]
- STIM2 regulates AMPA receptor trafficking and plasticity at hippocampal synapses. Yap KA, Shetty MS, Garcia-Alvarez G, Lu B, Alagappan D, Oh-Hora M, Sajikumar S, Fivaz M. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2016 Aug 18. pii: S1074-7427(16)30150-2. doi: 10.1016/j.nlm.2016.08.007. [Epub ahead of print]
- Differential involvement of Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinases and mitogen-activated protein kinases in the dopamine D1/D5 receptor-mediated potentiation in hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurons. Shetty MS, Sajikumar S. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2016 Jul 26. pii: S1074-7427(16)30121-6. doi: 10.1016/j.nlm.2016.07.020. [Epub ahead of print]
- Different compartments of apical CA1 dendrites have different plasticity thresholds for expressing synaptic tagging and capture. Sajikumar S, Korte M. Learning & Memory. 2011 Apr 21;18(5):327-331. Print 2011
- Metaplasticity governs compartmentalization of synaptic tagging and capture through BDNF and PKMzeta (PKMζ). Sajikumar S, Korte M. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Jan 19.
- Identification of compartment- and process-specific molecules required for 'synaptic tagging' during LTP and LTD in hippocampal CA1. Sajikumar S, Navakkode S, Frey JU. J Neurosci. 2007 May 9; 27(19):5068-80.
- Synaptic tagging and cross-tagging: the role of protein kinase M zeta in maintaining long-term potentiation, but not long-term depression. Sajikumar S, Navakkode S, Sacktor TC and Frey JU. J. Neurosci. 2005 Jun 15; 25(24):5750-6.
- Late-associativity, synaptic tagging, and the role of dopamine during LTP and LTD. Sajikumar S, Frey JU Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2004 Jul; 82(1):12-25.
1) Frist Rank, M.Sc Physiology (2000)University of Calicut Kerala, India.
2) Junior Research Fellowship from Defense Research Development Organization (DRDO) (2000-2001) Delhi, India.
3) ‘Summa Cum laude’ (excellent) grade (2005) for doctoral thesis from Otto-von-Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany.
4) Faculty prize for the ‘best Ph.D thesis ‘2005 from Natural Science faculty, Otto-von-Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany.
5) Alexander von Humboldt fellowship, 2010-2012.