Educational Background: MBBS (NUS); PhD (Harvard)
Position: Prof & Vice-Dean (Education), Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Contact number/s: +65-6516 6603 & +65-6772 3755 (Office); +65-6516 3293 (Lab)
Fax number: +65-6778 8161 / +65-6778 5743
Email address: email@example.com
Location of Office: MD9, level 4 & NUHS Tower Block, Level 11
Location of Laboratory: MD9 Level 3
Name of Laboratory: Cancer and Metastasis Lab
Research Areas of Interest:
- Regulation and function of C/EBPalpha in hepatocellular carcinoma
- Molecular characterization of the novel tumor suppressor DLEC1
- The role of epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) in colon cancer metastasis
- Functional studies of Proline Rich Acidic Protein1 (PRAP1)
- B55ß-Associated PP2A complex controls PDK1-directed Myc signaling and modulates rapamycin sensitivity in colorectal cancer. Tan, J, Lee PL, Li Z, Jiang X, Lim YC, Hooi SC, Yu Q. Cancer Cell. 2010, 18:459-471.
- C/EBPalpha is up-regulated in a subset of hepatocellular carcinomas and plays a role in cell growth and proliferation. Lu GD, Leung CH, Yan B, Tan CM, Low SY, Aung MO, Salto-Tellez M, Lim SG, Hooi SC. Gastroenterology. 2010 Aug, 139(2):632-643
- Palladin, an actin-associated protein, is required for adherens junction formation and intercellular adhesion in HCT116 colorectal cancer cells. Tay PN, Tan P, Lan Y, Leung CH, Laban M, Tan TC, Ni H, Manikandan J, Rashid SB, Yan B, Yap CT, Lim LH, Lim YC, Hooi SC. International Journal of Oncology 2010 Oct, 37: 909-926.
- C/EBPalpha is up regulated in a subset of hepatocellular carcinomas and plays a role in cell growth and proliferation. Lu G, Leung HW, Yan B, Tan MY, Low SY, Aung MO, Salto tellez M, Lim SG, Hooi SC. Gastroenterology. 2010, 139(2):632-643.
- The tumor suppressor gene DLEC1 is frequently silenced by DNA methylation in hepatocellular carcinoma and induces G1 arrest in cell cycle. Qiu G, Salto tellez M, Ross JA, Yeo W, Cui Y, Wheelhouse N, Chen GG, Harrison D, Lai P, Tao Q, Hooi SC. Journal of Hepatology. 2008, 48(3):433-441.
- Differential expression of hDAB21PA and hDAB21PB in normal tissues and promoter methylation of hDAB21PA in hepatocellular carcinoma. Qiu G, Xie H, Wheelhouse N, Harrison D, Chen GG, Salto tellez M, Lai P, Ross JA, Hooi SC. Journal of Hepatology. 2007, 46(4):655-663.
- Inhibition of histone deacetylase 2 increases apoptosis and p21(Cip1/WAF1) expression, independent of histone deacetylase. Huang BH, Laban M, Leung CHW, Lee L, Lee CK, Salto tellez M, Raju GC, Hooi SC. Cell Death and Differentiation. 2005, 12:395-404.
- The proline rich acidic protein is epigenetically regulated and inhibits growth of cancer cell lines. Zhang J, Wong H, Ramanan S, Cheong D, Adrian FLPK, Hooi SC. Cancer Research. 2003, 63:6658-6665.
1999 Faculty of Medicine Teaching Excellence Award
2001 NUS Excellent Teachers Award
2002 NUS Excellent Teachers Award
2003 Faculty of Medicine Teaching Excellence Award with citation
2011 NUS Long Service Award
2011 NUHS TRICE Values-in-Action Award for outstanding values (Education)
2011 NUHS GEMS Award for service quality (Education)
2012 NUHS Academic Medicine Development Award
2012 NUS Outstanding Educator Awards
2012 Public Administration Medal (Bronze)
2013 National Day Honours – Long Service Medal by President of Singapore
2013 NUHS-Mochtar Riady Pinnacle Excellence Award