Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Department of Physiology - a Member of NUHS
Educational Background: BSc(Honours), PhD
Position: Assistant Professor
Contact number/s: 6516-3663 (Office); 6516-5893 (Lab)
Location of Office: MD9, Level 4
Location of Laboratory: MD9, Level 1
Name of Laboratory: Lung Disease Research Laboratory
Research Areas of Interest:
- Role of extracellular matrix and airway structural cell (smooth muscle, epithelium) interactions in the lung; role of tetraspanins in asthma, respiratory infections, and lung cancer; characterisation and application of Traditional Chinese Medicine as novel anti-remodelling agents for asthma therapy.
- Identification of novel therapeutic targets for lung diseases (in particular asthma, respiratory infections and lung cancer).
- CD151, a laminin receptor showing increased expression in asthmatic patients, contributes to airway hyperresponsiveness through calcium signaling. Qiao Y et al., J Allergy Clin Immunol, 2016 Apr 27. pii: S0091-6749(16)30164-6.
- Human nasal epithelial cells derived from multiple subjects exhibit differential responses to H3N2 influenza virus infection in vitro. Yan Y et al., J Allergy Clin Immunol, 2016 Jan 21 pii: S0091-6749(15)02992-9.
- The antimalarial drug artesunate inhibits primary human cultured airway smooth muscle cell proliferation. Tan S et al., Am. J. Respir. Cell. Mol. Biol. 2014; 50:451-458.
- Laminin drives survival signals to promote a contractile smooth muscle phenotype and airway hyperreactivity. Tran T et al., FASEB J, 2013; 27:3991-4003
- Laminin-Binding Integrin alpha 7 is Required for Contractile Phenotype Expression by Human Airway Myocytes. Tran T. et al., Am. J. Respir. Cell. Mol. Biol. 2007, 37(6):668-680.
Awards2016 Faculty Teaching Excellence Award AY2014/2015
2007 Manitoba Institute of Child Health (MICH) Postdoctoral Fellowship Award
2006 3rd Annual National Research Forum for Young Investigators in Circulatory & Respiratory Health Rising Star Poster Competition Winner
2006 MICH Travel Award – The Children’s Hospital Foundation
2005 GlaxoSmithKline/Canadian Lung Association/ Canadian Institutes of Health Research Postdoctoral Fellowship Award
2005 National Training Program in Allergy and Asthma Postdoctoral Fellowship Award
2003 Asthma and Allergy Research Institute Junior Medical Scientist Award
2003 Australian Society of Clinical and Experimental Pharmacologist and Toxicologists (ASCEPT) Travel Award
2003 Australian Cooperative Research Centre for Asthma Postgraduate Scholarship Top-Up
2002 Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand Travel Award
2001 ASCEPT Travel Award and ASCEPT Young Investigator Award Finalist
2001 University of Melbourne Postgraduate Research Scholarship
2000 ASCEPT Travel Award
1999 National Heart Foundation Australia Undergraduate Research Scholarship