Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Department of Physiology - a Member of NUHS
Educational Background: BSc(Honours), PhD
Position: Assistant Professor
Contact number/s: 6516-3663 (Office); 6516-5893 (Lab)
Location of Office: MD9, Level 4
Location of Laboratory: MD9, Level 1
Name of Laboratory: Lung Disease Research Laboratory
Research Areas of Interest:
- Lung physiology in health & disease; airway smooth muscle research
- Identification of novel therapeutic targets for chronic inflammatory lung diseases (eg. Asthma).
- Airway Smooth Muscle in Asthma: Phenotype Plasticity and Function. Hirota JA, Nguyen TTB, Schaafsma D, Sharma P, Tran T. Pulmonary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 2009, 22(5):370-378.
- Laminin-Binding Integrin alpha 7 is Required for Contractile Phenotype Expression by Human Airway Myocytes. Tran T, Blackie-Ens K, Rector E, Stelmack G, McNeill K, Tarone G, Gerthoffer WT, Unruh H, Halayko AJ. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology. 2007, 37(6):668-680.
- Effects of Extracellular Matrix and Integrin Interactions on Airway Smooth Muscle Cell Phenotype and Function: It takes Two to Tango! Tran T, Gosens R, Halayko AJ. Current Respiratory Medicine Reviews. 2007; 3 (3): 193-205.
- Endogenous Laminin is Required for Human Airway Smooth Muscle Cell Maturation. Tran T, McNeill K, Gerthoffer WT, Unruh H, Halayko AJ. Respiratory Research, 2006, 7: 117.
- Stimulus-Dependent Glucocorticoid-Resistance of GM-CSF Production in Human Cultured Airway Smooth Muscle. Tran T, Fernandes DJ, Schuliga M, Harris T, Landells L, Stewart AG. British Journal of Pharmacology. 2005, 145:123-131.
Awards2007 Manitoba Institute of Child Health Postdoctoral Fellowship Award
2006 3rd Annual National Research Forum for Young Investigators in Circulatory & Respiratory Health Rising Star Poster Competition Winner
2005-2007 GlaxoSmithKline/Canadian Lung Association/ Canadian Institutes of Health Research Postdoctoral Fellowship Award
2005-2007 National Training Program in Allergy and Asthma Postdoctoral Fellowship Award
2003 Asthma and Allergy Research Institute Junior Medical Scientist Award
2002-2003 Australian Cooperative Research Centre for Asthma Postgraduate Scholarship Top-Up
1999-2000 National Heart Foundation Australia Undergraduate Research Scholarship